Tags: adding, alread, alreadyassign, disk, emc, expand, format, operating, partition, san, software, solaris, system

Issue: Adding new disk from SAN (EMC) to Solaris 10 OS

On Software » Solaris Operating System

5,885 words with 9 Comments; publish: Sun, 25 May 2008 14:11:00 GMT; (40062.50, « »)

Would like to expand one of partition which is alread on SAN, and already

assign another 100 gb, but on Solaris 10, using format, couldn't see that

new 100gb disk.

even after reboot, still can't see new disk,

What could be wrong? And how to know the disk has been added correctly?

Thanks a bunch.

All Comments

Leave a comment...

  • 9 Comments
    • If you mean you did this using another cable, then run "iostat -xn" to

      see if you see anything extra. If does, run "devfsadm -c disk -v". If

      does not from iostat, you may need to figure out to add this new SAN

      initiator to your box.

      If you mean you added a single disk to one of the SAN arrays, you may

      deal with that using EMC software.

      Regards

      Victor

      #1; Sun, 25 May 2008 14:12:00 GMT
    • On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:08:26 -0400, steeles wrote:

      > Would like to expand one of partition which is alread on SAN, and already

      > assign another 100 gb, but on Solaris 10, using format, couldn't see that

      > new 100gb disk.

      > even after reboot, still can't see new disk,

      > What could be wrong? And how to know the disk has been added correctly?

      > Thanks a bunch.

      I'm confused... Did you expand the LUN or did you add a second lun?

      Are you using EMC power path?

      #2; Sun, 25 May 2008 14:13:00 GMT
    • Sorry to confuse you guys.

      The fact is,

      One of SAN (EMC) guys gave another addtional 100gb space to Solaris box

      (10) from SAN array, and I need to expand one of partitions which is

      mounted from SAN.

      I did "devfsadmin -c" and format, but couldn't see that extra space

      (hard drive).

      Was suggested by rebooting solaris, but still luck finding it.

      Yes, it is using EMC power path. What could be wrong?

      If disk from SAN added correctly, will it change "sd.conf" file

      automatically?

      Please help.

      victorfeng1973.solaris.todaysummary.com.yahoo.com wrote:

      > steeles wrote:

      >

      > Could you show us the related messages in /var/adm/messages?

      > Victor

      #3; Sun, 25 May 2008 14:14:00 GMT
    • On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:08:26 -0400, steeles wrote:

      > Would like to expand one of partition which is alread on SAN, and already

      > assign another 100 gb, but on Solaris 10, using format, couldn't see that

      > new 100gb disk.

      > even after reboot, still can't see new disk,

      > What could be wrong? And how to know the disk has been added correctly?

      > Thanks a bunch.

      Hmm, exam question perchance?

      #4; Sun, 25 May 2008 14:15:00 GMT
    • steeles wrote:

      > Sorry to confuse you guys.

      > The fact is,

      > One of SAN (EMC) guys gave another addtional 100gb space to Solaris box

      > (10) from SAN array, and I need to expand one of partitions which is

      > mounted from SAN.

      > I did "devfsadmin -c" and format, but couldn't see that extra space

      > (hard drive).

      > Was suggested by rebooting solaris, but still luck finding it.

      > Yes, it is using EMC power path. What could be wrong?

      > If disk from SAN added correctly, will it change "sd.conf" file

      > automatically?

      May or may not. Our vendor even suggests to add up to 256 targets in

      sd.conf if things do not work out, but it did not happen to us.

      If your SAN guy could confirm that 100gb was added in his side, the

      worst scenario is to start over to connect to your SAN.

      Victor

      #5; Sun, 25 May 2008 14:16:00 GMT
    • Thanks Victor,

      How to start over to start over to SAN?

      <victorfeng1973.solaris.todaysummary.com.yahoo.com> wrote in message

      news:1158588795.861814.289060.solaris.todaysummary.com.m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

      > steeles wrote:

      > May or may not. Our vendor even suggests to add up to 256 targets in

      > sd.conf if things do not work out, but it did not happen to us.

      > If your SAN guy could confirm that 100gb was added in his side, the

      > worst scenario is to start over to connect to your SAN.

      > Victor

      >

      #6; Sun, 25 May 2008 14:17:00 GMT
    • How to tell if the disk has been added correctly? Any file gets changed when

      SAN guy added extra disk space?

      "steeles" <steeles.solaris.todaysummary.com.gmail.com> wrote in message

      news:q1yPg.24$FA4.2.solaris.todaysummary.com.newsfe21.lga...

      > Thanks Victor,

      > How to start over to start over to SAN?

      > <victorfeng1973.solaris.todaysummary.com.yahoo.com> wrote in message

      > news:1158588795.861814.289060.solaris.todaysummary.com.m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

      >

      #7; Sun, 25 May 2008 14:18:00 GMT
    • steeles wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]

      > How to tell if the disk has been added correctly? Any file gets changed wh

      en

      > SAN guy added extra disk space?

      >

      > "steeles" <steeles.solaris.todaysummary.com.gmail.com> wrote in message

      > news:q1yPg.24$FA4.2.solaris.todaysummary.com.newsfe21.lga...

      I do not know EMC. Would you like to call EMC? The iSCSI card we get

      is from QLogic. It has its driver and management software. We had

      different issue and I restalled the driver and software twice. Maybe

      you need to read the manual first because sometimes the technical

      support is not good enough and you have to twist it out by yourself

      like us.

      Victor

      #8; Sun, 25 May 2008 14:19:00 GMT
    • steeles wrote:

      > Would like to expand one of partition which is alread on SAN, and already

      > assign another 100 gb, but on Solaris 10, using format, couldn't see that

      > new 100gb disk.

      > even after reboot, still can't see new disk,

      > What could be wrong? And how to know the disk has been added correctly?

      > Thanks a bunch.

      1. At first runa luxadm probe to see the HBAs.

      2. Then try with /etc/powermt display dev=all -- to see the current

      paths.

      3. With devfsadm -C you will recognize the new devices. If you are

      thinking about rebooting the system try on this way: reboot -l -- -r

      4. Check using format y you have any news.

      5. In order to do a further research I would try probing the devices

      from the OBP.

      Good Luck!

      Sebastian.

      #9; Sun, 25 May 2008 14:20:00 GMT